13.8 Highlights of What’s New in Version 2019.1.1
Note that following release 35.1.0, version numbers changed to the form year.release.minor, where year is
the four-digit year, release is the consecutive release number for the year, and minor is for internal APS
Here is a summary of what’s changed since release 35.1.0. Historical change logs are collected in
13.8.1 Bug Fixes for Elements
- The BMXYZ element previously would inject particles at z = 0 by default, which is usually
not the desired behavior. Now, it injects at the start of the field map by default. The new
INJECT_AT_Z0 parameter can be used to recover the old behavior. In addition, drift spaces
are now automatically included to compensate for differences between the length of the field
map and the user-defined insertion length.
13.8.2 Bug Fixes for Commands
- The load_parameters command with change_defined_values=0 did not work correctly
when combined with insert_elements or replace_elements. This was reported by G. Penn
- The insert_elements command would sometimes fail to insert all the intended elements
when insert_before=1 when insertion between consecutive elements was required. This was
reported by G. Penn (LBNL).
13.8.3 New and Modified Elements
- The BOFFAXE element was added. It allows integrating through a magnetic field defined by
an off-axis expansion from on-axis gradients.
- Transfer matrices are now automatically computed for BMXYZ and BGGEXP elements.
- The CSBEND, SBEND, and CCBEND elements now support separate fractional strength errors
(FSE) for the dipole and quadrupole terms.
- The HKPOLY element now supports and alternative, more general form for the drift
- The UKICKMAP element now has a flag to indicate that the kickmap is for a single period of
an insertion device, which makes it easier to configure. It also has a new parameter, KACTUAL,
for giving the K value independent of the field factor (which is applied to the kickmap).
13.8.4 New and Modified Commands
- The global_settings command now allows setting the default step sizes for tracking-based
determination of element-by-element matrices using the new tracking_matrix_step_size
parameter. The default values are the same as those used by the analyze_map command.
- The analyze_map command now allows changing the number of points in each dimension
and the maximum fit order.
- the correct_tunes command now allows specifying a list of quadrupoles to be excluded from
the tune knob.
13.8.5 Changes Specific to the MPI Parallel Version
- Fixed a bug that resulted in crashing of tracking-based matrix computation for certain
numbers of processors.
- Fixed a bug in parallel hybrid simplex optimization, which would cause optimization to
terminate prematurely if one processor encountered an invalid condition (e.g., undefined
13.8.6 Changes Specific to the GPU Version
The GPU version continues to be an alpha release and contains bugs. Users are
encouraged to check results against the serial or parallel versions and report issues to the
13.8.7 Changes to Related Programs and Files